Monday, October 6, 2014

Reading Diary Week 8: Review

After reviewing my reading diaries I realized that they serve two main purposes for me in this course. As I read the stories I type up a quick summary of what is happening in the stories. This helps me to retain what I am reading much better than if I just fly through the readings. The other thing I use my reading diary posts for is the storytelling assignment. When I go to do the storytelling assignment for the week I would have to re-read some stories were it not for the reading diary. The reading diary gives me a good reminder of what each story was about and from that I can pick one to retell.

There are definitely instances where I feel as though I am spending way too much time completing my reading diary for each individual story. For weeks where there are a lot of characters introduced into the stories and there are some longer stories, my diary posts can become quite lengthy (1500-2000 words). In the future I might be better served giving myself shorter summaries of each story or just picking a few of my favorite stories out of the reading to completely summarize, rather than writing a summary for every single story in the reading.

I do not add images or include quotes from the stories in my posts. I use my diary solely as a summary of each story to help me for the storytelling assignment. I do, however, remember the readings I do for this class more than readings for other classes. For other classes, I either take a few notes while reading or just read and take no notes, but this strategy usually does not result in very much recollection.

Overall, I think the reading diaries are a good assignment and a good way to check that everyone is doing the readings. I just might need to use them differently so I don’t use too much team summarizing every single story I read.

No comments:

Post a Comment