Thursday, October 16, 2014

Week 11 Essay: Setting and Landscape

This week I read the Alice in Wonderland unit and the thing that left the most lasting impression from this story was the landscape. I’m pretty sure I’ve only ever seen the movie once, but I was very young, so I did not have a picture of the setting and landscape in my head before reading this. Even without the movie, the story did a great job of making the setting come alive.

It helps that there are very unique elements in the story, such as a talking rabbit with a pocket watch and tiny hallways and doors that only 1 foot tall people can fit through. Even the “normal” things were very vividly described though, such as a tall colorful mushroom with a caterpillar that is smoking hookah on top of it. The list goes on with a garden and playing cards as the gardeners, the Mad Hatter, and the Duchess who has a pig for a baby.

The overall impression I got of the setting and landscape was a very colorful one, almost with a childish and playful tone to it. The setting was a definitely a fantasy setting rather than a realistic one, which I think helps the imagination run even more wild when picturing these stories.

I was surprised when I started thinking back about the readings to realize that the setting really didn’t play that big of a role in the story. More so it was the unique characters that made the story and the only thing the setting affected was the miniature size of everything. There was no weather described and the season of the year wasn’t even described, except that there were leaves coming from the trees, but this detail had nothing to do with the actual story.


Even though the setting was not a critical part to the plot of the story, it is still what made the story entertaining and come alive, which is what helps make a good plot anyways.

Wonderland.
Web Source: Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment