Tuesday, August 12, 2014

UN-Textbook Exploring: Week 1

Greek Myths: Ovid I, II, and III. The topics that immediately caught my eye for the first unit was the Greek Myths. I have always been fascinated by Greek Mythology and have enjoyed the very few stories that I have read for literature classes in the past. I'm already excited to select two Greek Myth sections for my first two topics!

Ancient Egypt: Keeping with the mythology theme, I think it would be very interesting to learn about mythology other than the most popular Greek and Roman stories that most people are familiar with. I am also interested to see if there are any similarities I would notice in these stories compared to the Greek Myths I will have read the two weeks earlier.

Alice in Wonderland: I was very surprised to see this in the UN-Textbook! I have only seen the movie and have never read the story but I would be curious to see how similar they are to each other. I also realized it's a long story so hopefully it will be a lighter week in my semester when we get to this unit!

Grimm (Cane and Hunt): These also caught my eye because they are the stories lots of Disney movies are based off of. I would love to read these and compare them to how the Disney movies portrayed them.


1 comment:

  1. Jeremy, thank you so much for working ahead like this - it is a huge help to me to start to get a sense of people's specific interests in the textbook. VERY glad you like Ovid, and those three units cover only about the first half of his epic-sized collection of myths, so maybe you will want to even use Ovid as a source for your project in class. He is one of our most valuable sources for the ancient myths, and he is such a great storyteller in his own right!

    About Alice: the novel itself is really quite short, so to make it fit the class, I only had to leave out a few chapters; all the reading units are the same length (appx. 15,000 words), which usually meant I was taking a book and trimming it down, but because the books are free public domain books online, you can always choose to read more of the book if you want (now, or maybe later when the class is over and you get a craving for more stories!).

    Thanks again for working ahead; I really appreciate it! Next week I won't have time to be commenting at people's blogs like this, but it is so much fun to get a chance to do that this week!

    ReplyDelete